Self-care is the collection of habits that support and strengthen your mental health and wellbeing. In other words, self-care is your personal program for taking care of yourself — especially your mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Remember that taking a little me-time isn’t an indulgence, it’s a necessity. So, here are a few tips to take care of yourself and why it’s important.
1. Prioritize: Make a plan of action for yourself and make sure that self-care is part of that plan.
2. Practice Breathing and Meditating: Take time to go to your Garden Spots, Man Cave, Closet, etc. Focus only on spiritual health and being with the Holy Spirit.
3. Do One Good Thing for Yourself Every Week: Go get your nails done, get a massage, get a haircut, etc. Do it for you.
4. Learn Something New: Teach yourself a new language, try painting, writing, carpentry, automotive, etc.
5. Exercise: Go for a walk, run, lift weights, play golf, go hiking, etc.
6. Limit Your News and Social Media Consumption: It only adds to the stress in our lives.
Self-care has to become a habit in your life. It’s not a one-time thing. Remember self-care is not a reward, it’s part of the process. We can’t fill others up if we don’t have anything in our own tank to give. The reason self-care should be a priority is because taking care of ourselves is an important part of building resilience, or bouncing back from stress, trauma, and burnout. Self-care can help you recognize your emotional responses to stress and develop coping skills to manage them.